FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To address numerous questions received after announcing Alabama's First Psychedelic Studio, I drafted THIS LETTER to address the most common questions I've received. I have not had time to thoroughly update this website, but the letter will hopefully offer some clarity.
WHAT DO SESSIONS COST?
– My rate is $250 for a 50-minute session.
– A sliding scale fee is available by request for those in financial need.
– Payment is due before each session. I accept cash, check, debit, credit, HSA, and FSA. I use a HIPPA-compliant app for therapists called Ivy Pay. Once I receive your mobile number on your intake form, the app will text you payment instructions. We can do this together if you’d prefer.
– I don’t take insurance, but I’m happy to offer you a 'superbill.' If your insurance plan covers out-of-network providers, you may be eligible for reimbursement. There’s an organization called Reimbursify which simplifies the reimbursement process.
– If you need to cancel an appointment, you will need to cancel 48 hours in advance to avoid being charged for the session.
DO I NEED TO DO PAPERWORK?
– I don’t want paperwork to hold you back from starting therapy, so I’ve streamlined the process as much as possible. Once you set up an appointment, I will e-mail you some required forms and a few optional ones. You can complete these in advance, or we can do them together.
– Our first session will be 80-minutes to allow extra time to review these forms. There is no added charge for this additional half hour.
WHY DON'T YOU TAKE INSURANCE?
– I realize that out of pocket counseling is a barrier for many, and I'd like to make therapy as accessible as possible in the future. For the time being, however, I'm only able to provide therapy services out of pocket.
– I'd like to model a healthy work/life balance, which appears more possible by focusing as much time and energy on sessions and continued education, rather than insurance interactions.
– While these are not my only specialties, psychedelic integration and Ketamine Assisted Psychotherapy are two current passions that I would like to build upon, and these are not widely supported by insurance.
– I worked exhaustively with insurance companies in my previous job and would like to explore what's possible without those constraints.
– Insurance requires a diagnosis on the first session, which has several drawbacks. I don't want to ascribe a label to you, the person, especially after knowing you for less than two hours; I don't want you to carry the stigma or identity of a diagnosis if these do not serve you; I'd like to explore the relationship between your presenting concerns and your life experience, rather than getting stuck on a label; and I don't want to potentially impact your future healthcare coverage or life plans, if either might be negatively influenced by a diagnosis.
– I want to work with motivated clients who value our time together, and while the cost of therapy sessions is high, it's my hope that you find our work together to be worth it.